All about Darren
A south London Boy in the Lake District...
I was born and raised in South London. Sport and exercise was a key part of my upbringing. I played County Hockey, competed in athletics, and then went onto running.
Career highlights include:
- MSc in exercise behaviour psychology.
- 10 years as a sports fitness coach and personal trainer working with champion professional golfers and long distance runners.
- Certified by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- Certified by the Sports Massage Association (SMA).
- Certified by the International Association of Structural Integrators (IASI). I studied with one of the best teachers in the world in Brazil. I'm one of just a handful of professionals trained and qualified to practice this specialised bodywork in the UK.
- Several years as a lecturer and presenter to the fitness industry at conventions and classrooms throughout the UK and in Europe.
- Accredited assessor and examiner for the YMCA.
- Author of numerous articles in the national industry press.
My interest in structural integration was an extension of many hours spent training and observing bodies in motion. Trying to optimise ways of provoking physiological and anatomical response, I realised that more progress was usually made, not by training for a future ability, but rather by removing a current inability.